People Loving Nashville check in at the Last Chance Hotel

Tonight I helped out People Loving Nashville again.  On Thursday nights they fire up the grill for 75-100 guests at an apartment complex known as the Last Chance Hotel.  It’s known as the Last Chance Hotel because it use to be a hotel and it’s the last stop before becoming homeless or it’s the first place you go after being on the streets. The complex is North of downtown Nashville on a street nicknamed Misery Mile because of all the crime.  


People Loving Nashville started grilling up a meal at the complex on Thursday nights last summer. They also give out clothes, books and groceries. Nate Lampa, one of the founders or PLN, told me before they started coming on Thursday nights nobody in the complex knew each other or hung out we each other. Nate told me things have changed and now there is a sense of community there and people know and talk to their neighbors now.  Crime has reduced in the complex because people are looking after the place and their neighbors.  Because of the programs success, other low income property owners have asked PLN to do community nights at their apartment complexes. 


After all the guest had left at the end of the night about 30 volunteers formed a circle to pray.  I introduced myself and told them a little bit about what I’m up to in Nashville and what I’m doing in June. One of the leaders of the program asked a Pastor to pray for me. The Pastor came over and laid hands on me and everybody reached their hands in my direction. His prayer was so awesome and timely and boy did I need it! 


I worked all day in my hotel room on Mission For Hope logistics and sponsorships. My anxiety was off the charts and that is very unusual for me. It took me several hours to figure out why I was so stressed. It came to me later in the day, I was very anxious because Mission For Hope is getting very, very real! It’s no longer just logo on a sweatshirt or a hat. It’s a real 200 day trip. I’m not overly concerned about raising the funds to do it. My real concern is with such a tight schedule, what happens if something happens mechanically to the Jeep.  Guess I’ve been watching too many YouTube videos of people breaking down in their SUVs or Jeeps in the middle no place.  


But anyways, the Pastor’s prayer tonight really did the trick. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Accomplished!

54 Cities in 300 Days!

My route so far in Africa