Civilized Racing On Board Panthera During St. Maarten Heineken Regatta



Ever been on a Gunboat?  Either did I until yesterday.  For the second day of the 33rd St. Marteen Heineken Regatta I got to race on Panthera a six year old Gunboat 66. Early Saturday morning Peter Johnstone welcomed me on board at the Port de Plaisance Marina. Peter was calling tactics on the boat for the regatta and should be pretty good at it considering he is Gunboats founder. After I finished my cheese croissant and cup of coffee in a real ceramic cup, I asked Peter where I should keep my gear.  He pointed at a table with a red table cloth outside on stern of the boat and said,  "Put your cameras on top of the table. They will be fine there all day long. That can be your media center for the day." I looked at him with kind of a puzzled face. "Don't worry the boat is very stable, they'll be out the sun, they'll never get wet and either will you." Peter said.  Well that is where I kept my cameras and lens all day long and they didn't move an inch  That's was a first. Usually,  I have to strap cameras to me during races so I can bounce from rail rail hands free.   Well there wasn't a lot of "running" from side to side on Panthera for any of the crew and we just barley hiked.  If i needed to switch cameras or lens while we were racing I strolled to the stern and got the gear I needed and strolled back on deck.

Panthera is fully equipped to race or cruise with two twin 75hp diesel engines and has any where from 2,500-4,500 square feet of sail up at a time. The main salon is a fully decked out fish bowl in which you can even see the top of the sails from inside. In the front of the salon, next to a very high tech nav station, there is a huge wheel that is that is connected to an outside wheel in the back of the "pit".  The pit is literally a 12ft X  6ft pit at same level of the salon with two doors going out to it from the salon. The pit is at the base of the mast where all the sails can be controlled. All the halyards and sheets work off two powered winches that are controlled by your big toe.   During racing there were 1-3 crew members working the pit right next the driver.  We had a total of 11 crew on board and most of their help was needed to raise and lower some huge sails just for racing. Peter said the boat can be cruised very comfortable with two and raced with as a little as six.  The previous owner of Panthera did a full circumnavigation, two loops of the Pacific and put over 80,000 miles on the boat.  The current owner plans on sailing around the world with is family.

Today we raced against four newer Gunboats; Elvis, Coco de Mer and Tribe. Panthera is the oldest and heaviest boat in the fleet and carries a 14% handicap. We raced 36 miles around St. Maarten and she moved right alone but quite a ways in the back of the fleet. I think the highest we saw for speed was 12 knots in 10 knots of breeze which isn't too bad.  At one point Peter was calling tactics sitting at one of the huge tables in the grand salon while munching on trial mix. I was next to him munching on a freshly made chicken wrap with fresh vegetables. The wheel, the pit and the nav station are only an ear shot away so getting and giving racing feedback is pretty easy and having an enormous refrigerator stocked with all kinds of drinks close by isn't too bad either.  Way to civilized for racing and some times I honestly forgot I was racing.  I can see how an owner could take the family out racing (including Grandma) and they wouldn't hate him afterwards. They would probably actually really love it and want to do it again.

We where fourth over the line in Marigot Harbor but corrected over Tribe to take third. For the regatta it was Elvis(3), Tiger Lily (7), Coco de Mer (11), Panthera(14) and Tribe(14).  I will admit at one point I did feel like I was racing when Peter asked me to move into the main salon because he didn't want too much weight in the stern. It was sure better then being asked to hike for real and get my fat ass on the toe rail.

Video by Leighton O'Connor: http://www.leightonoconnor.com

Reporting for Scuttlebutt:
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com

Music by I Was Awake:  http://www.facebook.com/iwasawake

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Accomplished!

My route so far in Africa

54 Cities in 300 Days!