Why I spent the last 14 days on the road

Well I think this will be the last photo I’ll be taking on my two week journey from Massachusetts to Key West. I appreciate all the “likes”, thumps up, encouragement, tips and suggestions! It was truly an amazing and exciting journey and I’m glad you came along. 




I thought New York would be a fitting stop. New York City is where I hope to be doing outreach at a homeless shelter on Thanksgiving of this year.  NYC has the highest number of homeless people in the country with estimates that put the homeless population over 75,000. New York City will be my 29th city stop on the 200 day journey across the United States to visit 30 of the most homeless cities in my little but spunky stock 2DR  Wrangler.


Two weeks ago my friend would have flown me into to Key West to take some photos of his new charter boat but I thought driving my Jeep would be a good way to test the overlanding gear I have been gathering since early last fall. This trip also helped me to refine my skills at finding real back country stuff using Gaia. This last shot isn’t back country but it was the most challenging shot of the whole trip. I mainly used a satellite map to get me to just the right spot in New Jersey across from Manhattan. 


I was pretty comfortable in my Jeep for the trip. So far, and I’m not home yet, I have driven 4,331 miles with 126:18 hours behind the wheel...driving to and through 14 states. Besides my friend taking me out for a few meals in Key West, the only thing I purchased myself that I didn’t make in my Jeep for the last two weeks were four slices of pizza, a grilled biscuit and a brownie in Columbia, FL.


This journey was great practice for my “possible” upcoming journey in June. “Possiable” because I am waiting for our non-profit’s board, Good Hope Inc, to give final approval to add “Homeless Care” as a new program. My journey in June, “Mission for Hope” is part of the new program to help the homeless locally and nationally and to bring awareness to the homeless crisis in this country. As well as researching different program in the US that help the homeless get back on their feet. 


Just to be transparent, when I post about my travels,  I do post to several Jeep FB pages and groups. To be honest, it’s takes a ton of time posting to all the pages and at some point I won’t be able to post to all them. So you may want to go to the website ( MissionForHope dot US ) and click on the link for my blog or my Facebook group so you can be notified when I post new images.


Also on the web site are the goals, schedule of my journey, cities I will be visiting and how you can help.  Thank you!!! 


Oh...Instagram & FB didn’t like me posting links to my blog a few days ago and they have me on parole. So I couldn’t type “.US” for the web address and make it a link. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Accomplished!

My route so far in Africa

54 Cities in 300 Days!