Under The Bridge Is Over The Top

Last night I helped out The Bridge Ministy in Nashville. For fourteen years The Bridge Ministry has been transforming a spot underneath the Jefferson Bridge on Tuesday nights into a very welcoming place for the homeless and poor to get a hot meal, groceries and clothes. Part of the night includes a church service with live worship music. I spoke with a volunteer (David) that has been helping out for six years and he told me that there were not a lot of guests tonight because of the rain. The guests have to walk a bit or jump on a few buses to get there. I think there were just over a hundred guests and just as many volunteers. I was told that when it’s not raining they serve hundreds more. David told me they have served as many as 800 people on a Tuesday night.  He also told me success stories of homeless they have helped that now have jobs and places to live. I did run into my friends I met Monday night, Al, IQ and Casey. I met Casey’s Mom Rose who is also homeless and living in a tent. 


The Bridge also provides weekend food bags to thousands of poor and homeless children on Fridays at 20 schools in Nashville. 


The Bridge was stared by Candy Christmas fourteen years ago. “Miss Candy” was a recording artists since her teens and left the road to help the poor.  I met her for a few minutes last night and heard her preach and pray last night. She has quite a big heart! 


Please keep the poor and homeless in Nashville in your prayers. It’s raining like crazy right now and it’s not supposed to not let up for a few days. I’d like load up the Jeep with Boxes of Joe, hot chocolate and donuts and head downtown.  Maybe you like to help out and buy a Box of Joe and some doughnuts. https://www.paypal.me/leightonoc  

Thank you for all your prayers and support! 

















Underneath the Jefferson Street Bridge after take down. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Accomplished!

My route so far in Africa

54 Cities in 300 Days!