“We’re human beings! Please, just acknowledge us!”


I’m sitting on a bench at the Beverly train station. I just came back from a meeting of the Massachusetts Coalition For The Homeless in Boston. The MCFTH is s non-profit with thirteen employees, have six programs that help the homeless and a annual budget of close to $2 million. 


They are trying to push through a dozen state bills to help the homeless and about $3.1 billion in state programs to help close to 20,000 people in Massachusetts that are experiencing homelessness. There were about two dozen folks at the meeting discussing the bills and budget and what can be done to get them passed. 


After getting off the train in Beverly I planted myself on a bench to finish reading an article in the Washington Post about a homeless couple in DC. How every other week they are faced with uncertainty if their home, a tent, will be removed and discarded by city workers. A very moving story. 


In the article the homeless woman, Monica, 

said...


“Acknowledge us!” she said. “We’re human beings! Please, just acknowledge us!”


It touched me to say the least. 


I had a bit of a revelation today. Although I think it’s important to develop programs to reduce homelessness and help the homeless, I don’t want to spend a majority of time in meetings around tables drinking coffee. I want to spend time with these folks, learn their stores, let them know somebody cares for them and love on them. Matthew 22:39

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Accomplished!

My route so far in Africa

54 Cities in 300 Days!