Fudge Stripes Cookies


 
Tuesday morning I stopped off at Good Samaritan Ministries in Port St. Lucie, FL to give out some stuff. In 2011 Pastor Vino Bitetto started this ministry by housing seven men who needed a place to stay after being released from prison. A year later he opened a second house for men and opened a thrift store to help support the ministry. Now they have 24 homes for men, women, children and families as well as programs and services for their clients. They support there ministries by owning and operating six for profit service related businesses. Their businesses include landscaping, tree removal, moving and storage, a cleaning service and automotive repair. After their clients graduate from their training program they are hired by one of the businesses they operate. Kind of a win-win situation for everybody.  

As I was driving away I noticed one of the men I meet, Rick, sitting outside enjoying a small package of cookies that I had given him. (Rick is the furthest on the right in the photo.)  Rick had the biggest smile on his and seemed so happy just sitting eating cookies outside. 

I thought to myself how awesome that he was getting so much joy from a little package of cookies. Then I thought to myself, I believe one of the reasons God puts us through storms is to slow us down so we can experience joy from simple things after we get through those storms. I’m sure Rick has been through his fair share of storms.

Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in the big things in our lives and it takes more and more of those big things to experience joy in our lives. 

So the next time you’re getting all wrapped up in the big things of life and keep spinning your wheels, think of Rick. Grab a package of cookies, sit outside and enjoy some simple joy.  But before you eat those cookies, pray and thank God for the joy He offers you for free everyday. 

“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”
‭‭John‬ ‭15:11 NIV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Accomplished!

My route so far in Africa

54 Cities in 300 Days!