Blessed & busy weekend in Portland, OR

Saturday’s outreach in Portland, OR was sad and eye opening. I needed to digest it all for a few days before posting anything about it. Friday night I did some research about were the community meals were going to be Saturday afternoon. I’ve always found before or after community meals are a good time and a good place to do outreach.  

I went to the Blanchet House in downtown Portland and parked on the street on the side of the building. They were just finishing up lunch. I went inside and told one of the staff members that I had hygiene kits, blankets and food in my Jeep. He told me it would fine if I gave out the stuff from my Jeep were it was on the street. 

There were a few people already on the sidewalk near my Jeep. There was a lady a sleep on the sidewalk not to far from my Jeep. As soon as I opened up the back my my Jeep people gathered around quickly. While I was giving out stuff I met a family of four living in their car. I gave them blankets, hygiene kits, water and a bit more food then I usually do. I also gave the boys a couple of my toy Jeeps. I met Jack a double amputee veteran in a wheel who lost both of his legs because of frostbite. I gave him a bible stick with the New Testament in it.   I met Ace a young man in his early twenties from San Francisco who had some family problems and left San Francisco. Ace and I prayed and I gave him a bit of advice about mending his relationships back home and going back. We talked for quite a while. 

During the outreach outside of Blanchet House a young man gave me a belt buckle. I didn’t want to take it but he insisted. I’m not sure where he got it...but I guess it’s the thought that counts....right? The folks I gave stuff to were very grateful and very polite. 

Portland was a very sad city to do outreach in.  Like Anchorage I saw lots of people at intersections. And they were at intersections 30 minutes outside of the city, For the rest of the weekend I put my Jeep into mobile outreach mode in which I have blankets, hygiene kits, water and breakfast bars on the passenger seat so I can give them out quickly at stop lights. At one stop light not too far from my hotel I gave a woman named Lisa quite a bit of stuff including a bible stick. Her big smile and appreciation kept me going for the rest of the day. 

Sunday morning I found a man sleeping on the side walk outside of a Rite-Aid outside of the city in a very nice section of town. I woke him to make sure he was alright and gave him a bottle of water and breakfast bar. 

After church on Sunday one their volunteers gave me a tour of a pod village they are building for the houseless on their property behind the church. The pods are going to be transitional temporary housing until the person can secure a employment and find permanent housing. The pods cost about $6,000 each to build. 

I could share many many stories of people I met during the weekend doing outreach and helping the homeless. I’m seeing and hearing a pattern in the North West of why most people are homeless. I have some pretty strong political views of why it if happening. Maybe I’ll share them after a few more months on the road. 

It was a huge blessing do to outreach on my own in Portland. Clearly God has a plan for me. Thanks for all your support, encouragement and prayers! 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Accomplished!

My route so far in Africa

54 Cities in 300 Days!