Eastside of Vancouver was shocking!

Thursday morning I filled up my Jeep with stuff at the Walmart in Vancouver, BC and headed to to the Eastside of Vancouver. People had warned me that the situation of the homeless folks is severe in Vancouver. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Hundreds of homeless people on both sides of Hastings Street. I parked on Hasting Street and opened up the back of my Jeep. I was swarmed by folks and the stuff went quick! I was about to the last of the stuff to a guy who stopped with a bike when two officers grabbed him right behind my Jeep and cuffed him. They detained him for a little bit because they wanted to make sure he didn’t have any weapons on him. They searched his backpack and he had a spray can, alcohol and drugs but no weapons so they did not arrest him. After Nicole and Matt released him they were kind enough to spend about 20 minutes with me to answer my questions about the homeless and drug crisis in Vancouver. They seemed a bit frustrated because of how liberal currents laws are. Part of the reason for this mission trip doing research in different cities about what’s working and not working in regards to the homeless. And I’m learning a lot! After I had given everything away I made my way to Washington. Last night I stayed in Mt. Rainier National Park. I got up early Friday morning and made my way to Seattle to get my windshield replaced and check into my hotel. I’m not gonna lie…being in a hotel room is refreshing after living in the Jeep for 12 days since leaving Anchorage. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission Accomplished!

My route so far in Africa

54 Cities in 300 Days!